At some times, Shimla used to be summer capital of Maharaja Bhupinder Singh (Maharaja of Patiala). Then later, Britishers took control over Shimla & decided to set Shimla as their summer capital. This decision made them to expel Maharaja Bhupinder Singh.
Then, Maharaja had to look for somewhere else to spend the summer in Cold Himachal. Finally, Chail was decided for that purpose. Reason why he opted Chail were:
- Shimla was in direct vision, summer capital of Britishers.
- Most importantly, Chail at 2226 m was somewhat higher than British controlled Shimla
- It was a little village by then completely untouched.
- It lay surrounded by magnificent deodar forests.
So, what Chail has to offer at this time? I must say too much, if you are willing to:
- A beautiful Palace with ornate furniture, charming cottages, Tennis Courts etc
- Thick Pine Tree’s forest with a Lover’s Point for couples, beside Palace
- Good sightseeing places and possibility of some fishing and trekking
- Delightful log huts of Palace could be perfect place for a honeymoon
- It also has the world’s highest cricket pitch and polo ground
There is so much to explore & I believe, very rare people could have done that.
Chail is connected both to Shimla & Solan (Kandaghat) with almost equal distance. If you take ride from Solan, you will have to go through Sadhupul, which is again a beautiful location for a day stay. I have written about it HERE.
Driving towards Shimla from Palace, offers you a ride through Dense forest which takes you to Kufri. From Shimla via Kufri the distance is 45 km and via Kandaghat is 61 km.
Apart, if you want to make a stay at Palace for a day, Charges for room booking varies from 5,000/- INR to 18000/- INR. There are different type of rooms based on budget ranging from Rajkumar to Maharaja one.
While we were leaving from Palace towards Kufri, believe me, I did notice more than 6-7 spots which were way too perfect for Trekking or Camping & feel was like as if you are just walking somewhere in Khajjiar.
Its worth visiting this place if you are somewhere around Solan, or Shimla. I would rather recommend you to travel it from both sides to experience both Kufri & Sadhupul.